My Favourite Local Stuff
Local Things Around Calgary that I love...
- Markets (Farmer's, Flea, and otherwise)
- Theatre & Theatres (yes in Canada, we spell it "re")
- Alberta Theatre Projects
- One Yellow Rabbit
- Theatre Junction
- Vertigo Theatre
- Hit & Myth Productions and Ground Zero Theatre
- Mob Hit Productions
- The Uptown Stage & Screen (facebook link) in The Barron Building
- I am VERY sad that the Uptown Stage & Screen had to "cease operations and vacate the Barron Building" in August 2012. This theatre is an absolutely amazing art-deco movie theatre that should be designated as a Heritage Building!
- If I ever win the lotttery, I'm buying this building from Strategic Group, renovating and moving into the penthouse, and re-opening it as a theatre the way it should be!
- The Plaza Theatre
- Most statutory holidays, they have "audience participation" type events, like Rocky Horror Picture Show, or
- Communities / Areas
- Inglewood - full of character and history, and "oldness".
- HEY CITY OF CALGARY!!!
DO NOT KNOCK ANY MORE OLD BUILDINGS DOWN!!
THERE IS LITTLE ENOUGH CHARACTER AND HISTORY HERE AS IT IS!!
THE LAST THING YOU SHOULD BE DOING IS DEMOLISHING IT!
- (ok, rant over)
- International Avenue - lots of diversity and amazing foods to discover here!
- 4th Street & 17th Ave
- Chinatown - fantastic restaurants here and the Chinese Cultural Centre is an amazing building to behold! Dim Sum anyone?